Saturday, September 12, 2009

The bilum tree

Last week I bought myself a beautiful, handmade bag, called a bilum.

I had seen the bags driving through Honiara - the 'shop' is situated under a large flame tree, and all the bags are hanging from it! It is a beautiful, colourful display and I knew I wanted to choose a bag as a reminder of our time here.

The 'bilum tree' as it is known.

Each bag is hand stitched, and can take more than two weeks to make. The idea and designs originally came from PNG, and have been adapted by the ladies who make them here. Bilums are very common in the Solomons, both men and women carry them, and they are used to hold anything from vegetables at the markets to even babies !

There are a few groups of women, who sit and stitch all day long in the shade of the tree, making their bags.

In the end, after a careful inspection of all the bags on offer, I decided on a small, simple black and white design, made from strong cotton thread. I loved some of the more colourful ones, but they were made from thick, heavy wool, which made them too heavy (and the wool was just too hot!)




The heat is starting to get to me. After two months of constant humidity my eczema is running wild and two nights ago I was bitten by what I think (and hope) were sandflies - all over my arms and feet. So now I am being driven crazy by itchiness. I have been taking polaramine for the last two days, but I'm not sure how long I can keep that up without falling asleep everywhere I go!

So to encourage me today, Geoff bought me a little packet of,

wait for it ...

Peanut M&Ms!

I think I'll save them for tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. 27 degrees in sunny Mossy today and 18% humidity! I completely understand your being fed up with the heat Amanda. It is just so draining on your energy. When you have a couple of minutes to sit down, put your feet in a bucket of cool water with a dash of metho (if you can find some) - don't smoke while you're doing this! Just think of the cold, cold S.Highlands and enjoy a little more sunshine before your next winter back here. Loads of love and prayers, Narelle XXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I love the bilum tree too - just up past the post office at the other end of town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the bag amanda, just gorgeous. it'll be so nice to have it around back home. Sad to here your skins playing up, hang in there, sounds really tough. Hows the hospital school going??? love and prayers, le.

    ReplyDelete