Friday, September 4, 2009

Another day of rain

It rained steadily for most of today. We learnt from past experiences, and let the girls stay home from school. They were quite happy with that decision, and spent the morning converting the lounge room into a cubby house, complete with sheets, pillows, cushions and mattresses. I spent the morning baking (2 batches of biscuits & 3 banana cakes) and was very thankful for the cool (26 degrees) weather that came with the rain.

By about 9 am it was really pouring and the girls went outside to watch the little 'rivers' forming all over the base, and to fling cane toads with long poles! They had a wonderful time, screaming to each other over the noisy rain, getting totally saturated!


Watch out cane toads!


Sophie had a shower under the very cool rain water gushing off the roof!

The rain settled down by the afternoon, and the girls wandered off to find people to talk to and things to do around the base. I didn't see them till just before six, when dinner was ready!

We enjoyed home made pizzas again tonight - mmmm delicious!

A lady from Australia - Marti Magill - arrived the other day for her 7th trip to the Solomons, and she came bearing gifts. I opened my fridge to find a beautiful block of chocolate sitting on the top shelf - and immediately my mouth was watering! After quickly opening the block and sharing a piece with Geoff (who was quite amused at my oohhing and aahhing), I have since shown great restraint in eating only a few pieces in four days. The chocolate here is not even as good as Australian compound or cooking chocolate - it just doesn't compare! I'm very reluctant to share the gift with the girls (who would probably happily eat the other stuff), but they have seen it sitting in the fridge all week, and are waiting for a taste! Maybe we'll have it for dessert on Sunday for Father's Day, unless I have a weak moment ...


Do you share my need for chocolate every now and then?
How long have you gone without it?

2 comments:

  1. Just have to say that if it had been peanut m&ms, it would not have lasted nearly as long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when Alexander was a baby I was on a special diet for about 18 months, 12 grams of fat per day no caffine or alcohol, no treats for the whole time. Huge ask for me you know how I feel about treats!

    ReplyDelete