Thursday, August 27, 2009

Half way

Tomorrow is exactly half way through our 11 week stay and a good opportunity for some personal reflections:

Are things what I thought they would be like?
Hard to say really, I'm not sure what I thought things would be like. Geoff had certainly talked a lot about the Solomons, but its hard to visualise until you get here. I wasn't prepared for how dirty Honiara is - so much dust and rubbish everywhere, and so many old, run-down buildings.

Am I glad we came?
Definitely! This has been a wonderful time for our family. I certainly am pleased we are here!

Do I want to go home sooner?
Sometimes when I look up and see a plane flying overhead, I ask myself if I would like to be flying home on that plane. So far I have always said no! I think I prepared myself for an 11 week stay, so it hasn't been a problem. I think the problem will be having to say goodbye ...

Has it been worth it?
Yes. Without a doubt!

What have been some of the best things about coming?
Seeing the girls experience a completely different way of living.
Meeting some of the beautiful people who live here.
Participating in the most beautiful praise and worship times.

What has been the hardest?
Knowing that there are so many needy people, and not being able to help them.

What has God been teaching me?
That God has His precious people all over the world,
That I can be an encouragement to others when I serve them with the love of Jesus in my heart.
That God will equip and sustain me for whatever task He asks me to do.
That it is a wonderful thing to praise our God in song (well, I already knew that, but I'm enjoying it so much over here!)

What would I do differently to prepare for this visit? (Thanks Lauren for the question!)
I would bring over more children's books, especially early readers. There is just not enough books available for the children to help them learn to read.
I would bring more sunglasses - we've already broken or lost a few pairs, and it is hard on the back of the truck without them (mind you, none of the locals wear them for that reason!)
I would bring one tube of Banana Boat Ultra suncream per month. We use it for the girls faces because it lasts for four hours, but you can't buy anything like that over here. We will run out soon, but thankfully Mum is bringing us over another tube!


Bri, Lovelyn, Felicity and Cynthia making a cubby house this afternoon!

1 comment:

  1. One other question I would ask you is, What would you do differently to prepare for this visit?

    ReplyDelete