Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Frogs and things

The cane toads are not as big as the ones I've seen in QLD, but just as ugly. They come in several colours, ranging from mustard yellow, creamy beige, to muddy brown.

As I write this, it is steadily raining, and all the cane toads have come out to play. There are way too many cane toads - disgusting, ugly pests that were introduced to this country, and just like in Australia, have taken over. A few weeks ago we had a huge down pour that made little rivers all over the SWIM base. We stood on our little verandah out the back of our house and watched as cane toads appeared from everywhere and started swimming in the flooded sections. Amelia and Sophie counted over 100. When it isn't raining, they only come out at night time, which makes walking anywhere very annoying. The locals just step on them, but I'm not quite there yet - I don't like the thought of the squelching, slippery feeling underneath my thongs!

But yesterday I was delighted when a group of kids (mine included) came running up to our house to show us a red-eyed tree frog they had found. It was only little, and not the same brilliant green that we have, but still very cute. Lovelyn found it on her shorts when they were playing in the bushes.


You can't see it very well in the photo, but underneath the frog is all light green.

Sophie was desperate to have a hold, and she did, but it jumped from her hand right onto her neck and gave her a bit of a shock! Later on she brought it inside on a stick to show me the 'home' they had made for it!

Geoff and I were commenting yesterday at how much fun our girls are having. They have so much more freedom here - they wander around all over the base after school, playing all sorts of games with the local kids. They are interacting with so many people, and learning so many new things. By the end of the day the girls are absolutely filthy (especially if they've been playing under the house), and they are always exhausted. Not surprisingly, they have been sleeping pretty well at night!


Geoff has just arrived back home from the school drop off with all the girls! School was cancelled today because of all the rain. Our girls are pretty pleased with the prospect of a full day to play around here!

4 comments:

  1. I think I recognise Elora's skirt...glad they're getting use out of them! Love and hugs to all of you, Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post reminded me of two things. First...how ghastly I think cane toads are. We had a plethora of them in our Brisbane (mis)adventure and if I never see one again it will be too soon for me!

    Second...when I was young we use to be able to roam and play to our hearts content without any thought of fear or harm. Now my girls hardly ever get the opportunity to have that sort of freedom. I am glad your girls are getting to experience some of that. It is a rich life lesson for them and AGAIN I applaud you for giving them that!

    Lez

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bri-Le, Mil, Soph & Elora,
    Every day I wonder about what new adventures you girls will be having and what sort of day w it will be for you! Its so wonderful to read the blog & see that you are all having such a good time & enjoying playing with the local children. How is school going? Looking forward to joining you soon. love Oma

    ReplyDelete
  4. The girls all look gorgeous and so happy in all the photos. This is an experience they will never forget!
    Jen Georgiou

    ReplyDelete