Monday, July 27, 2009

Spider's web

I tried to have a rest, but gave up - it is too hot. The geckos kept us awake quite a lot last night - running around the house, knocking things over - we even had a battery fall off the top shelf and roll right across the floor at 2am! Every morning when we get up, we find gecko poo in the most unusual (and sometimes disturbing) places. Perhaps having rats in the roof at Alymerton was good training for us!

Yesterday at church I was fairly pleased with how much I understood. The lady who gave the sermon used heaps of English words, and the Bible was also read in English, so I followed it quite well. But a different lady gave the children's talk, and apart from the odd sentence, I had no idea what she was saying. Geoff translated the story over lunch:

'A soldier in the war was separated from his unit in the jungle, so he climbed to the top of the hill to see if he could find them. He couldn't find his unit and he realised the enemy could see him, so he decided to hide in one of the small caves nearby to avoid being captured.
He prayed to God "Lord I know if I am captured you will look after me, but I also know you have the power to save me. I will trust you whatever happens."

It was then that a spider started to weave a web across the entrance to the cave. The soldier was a little bit disappointed. "A web is so weak Lord, I was hoping for a brick wall to protect me. Something strong to keep the enemy out."

As he lay quietly, he could hear the enemy outside, looking into the caves for him. When they came to the cave that he was lying in, the enemy soldier saw the spider's web and decided not to look in that cave. "He couldn't have gone in there without breaking that web."

It was then that he realised that when God is involved, a spider's web is as good as a brick wall!'

The children's talk finished with a verse from Isaiah 12:2
"Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; He has become my salvation."

2 comments:

  1. What a great verse to memorise. Perhaps as a family you could put music to it and remember your first church service in the Solomons. I'm so glad you have this blog!
    love Nanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda - you will have pijin mastered in less than a month! You will be understanding it in less than a fortnight and not long after that will have many words you can use yourself. Love, Narelle X

    ReplyDelete